Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I've encountered a dilemma.
Y'know how I was working on a certain pattern? And how it was, once written out completely and flawlessly, going to be submitted to Knitty.com?
Well,
I've discovered something better for which this pattern shall be equally appropriate:
DEBBIE STOLLER'S NEW BOOK.

Yeah, she's writing another one; isn't that crazy? And freaking exciting?
Here's the problematic part of it--pattern submissions are due June 19th, twelve days before I was originally expecting to have this work complete. So here's the plan:
I take my three (yes, now three) samples and analyze them with such focus and involvement that I discover that none of them is salvagable any longer, cast on for a final one and cram like a big fat Christmas has unexpectedly strolled into the middle of summer and sat on my future.

Because here's my logic--although the most popular free online knitting magazine probably reaches a wider audience than that-lady's-fourth-book-now-and-when-is-she-going-to-stop, (not that I ever want her to) a book is concrete, and a much more serious goal. I've never had my name printed in a book before. The mere (irrational) daydream of all the hundreds of knitters flipping through a book and seeing something I created makes my ego's mouth water.
It's like applying to Cornell when I know I'm probably just going to go to Eastern Kentucky University. There's always that glimmering, wishful vision.
And, of course, when the magnanimous Debbie Stoller inevitably ignores my work, there will always be the winter issue of Knitty. (And when it's turned down by them, well, there's always... wait, what does come after that? Janky, halfass-d.i.y'ed self-publishing and no purchasers? Oh, God, let me get into that book.)

5 Comments:

At June 06, 2006 12:51 PM, Blogger Anushka said...

OI! Don't you attack DIY'ed self-publishing!!!


*Hides half-edited copy of her new craft zine in horror"

 
At June 06, 2006 10:07 PM, Blogger Alexa said...

Oooh, I had forgotten about that! I've personally got a few ideas in mind (Hats, of course) but we'll see where that goes.

 
At June 06, 2006 10:54 PM, Blogger Sally Sue said...

OI! Don't you attack DIY'ed self-publishing!!!


Oh, but Nush, the difference is that you're popular ;) I have serious doubts that I could pull off anything like your zine--which is going to be amazing, by the way.

 
At June 07, 2006 10:21 AM, Blogger rachel iufer said...

your designs are amazing. debbie stoller would be crazy if she didn't use your stuff. best of luck!

 
At June 09, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Anushka said...

Oh, but Nush, the difference is that you're popular ;)

Oh my goodness, I've never been called popular before! Well, best of luck with that, and if you ever DO want to send anything to my zine, do know I'll welcome it with open arms.

xxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home